Drone Thoreau One STEMs are the samples from an experiment in creating ambient drone music using a single source recording. However, it is not just about the final product, it’s about the journey of getting to the product and the possibilities of taking your work in new directions.
As stated on the Drone Thoreau One release page:
SoundChaser has decided to go a step further by including all the original stems
(layers) of the tracks used to create this release. There are two reasons for this:
- SoundChaser believes some people might enjoy listening to the individual stems on their own (especially the Drone stem, which gets mixed into the background in the main tracks), and
- He wants others to take the tracks and create their own works. Fold them, spindle, mutilate them, add beats, add other instruments, make them into something else. The less recognizable, the better.
Originally the STEMS and samples were included with the download of Drone Thoreau One. However, while working on Drone Thoreau Two SoundChaser decided that it would be better to make the STEMs and samples available separately. There were three reasons for this:
- The size of the download for the STEMs is between 300 meg for the 160K MP3 version, to 1.9gig for the FLAC version.
- Not everyone wants the STEMs and samples. There are plenty of people that would be satisfied with just downloading the main piece without the extra material.
- While working on Drone Thoreau Two, SoundChaser realized that there was a lot more audio material to make available, nearly 10 times as much.
So, with the release of Drone Thoreau Two, SoundChaser split the releases into seperate packages: a download for the main work, and a free download for the samples and STEMS.
NOTE: originally we had 24bit FLAC and Video versions of all the STEMS. Those have been removed. There was no point to having a download that was double the size of the FLAC version for samples based on a 16 bit source file. And the videos were not really necessary. However the videos are still available on the CerebralAudio YouTube channel.